Theme and Style are 2 commonly used features to format text in Word.
Instead of having to use a series of features such as Font, Size, Bold, Color, Bullets, Align Left, … to format text manually, using Theme and Style will be much faster and more professional. !
And in this article I will help you better understand Style in Word. What is Style to see? Steps to create a new Style, how to apply Style to the text and list some specific cases should use Style …
#first. What is Style?
A style is a collection of formats such as table paragraphs, characters, tables, and lists. Using Style helps us to format text quickly and professionally.
To better understand the concept of Style in Word, you can refer to this article: How to create a Style in Word and how to use Style in Word.
#2. The pre-designed styles in Word
Microsoft Word provides us with many Styles such as Normal, No Spacing, Heading, Title, Subtitle, Subtle Emphasis, Emphasis, Intense Emphasis, Strong, Quote, Intense Quote, Subtle Reference, Intense Reference, Book Title, List Paragraph, …
Among them are:
Title Style are most used when doing text editing in Word ..
# 3. Styles in Word
There are 4 basic styles, they are:
- Paragraph is the format for the paragraph, including formats such as left-aligned, center-aligned, right-aligned, two-margin alignment, …
- Character is the format for characters, including formats such as font, font size, bold, italic, underline, …
- List is the format for a list, including leading character and paragraph number formats.
- Table is the format for the table, including header formats, border styles, frame colors, and background colors.
# 4. Create a New Style in Word
#2 I have listed quite a few Styles that Word application provides available. At first, you should try each Style to remember its formats, which will be very helpful for your future use.
In the case that all the styles are not suitable, you can follow the instructions below to create your own a new style that better suits your needs.
+ Step 1: Choose card
Home => in group
More => select
Create a Style..
+ Step 2: At the box
Name: Enter a name for the Style you want to create => then select
+ Step 3: Dialog box
Create New Style from Formatting appear.
Now proceed to customize the options:
- Name Style’s name just created.
- Style type The usual Style we will choose is Linked (paragraph and character)
- Style based on: allows the current Style to inherit the formats of the existing Styles (provided by Microsoft or by you previously).
- Formatting is the group of paragraph formats and character formats. It is very familiar so you can use it easily.
- New documents based on this template If selected, this Style will be automatically saved for later use.
- Format This button will open commands such as Font, Paragraph, Tabs, Border, Language, Frame, Numbering, Shortcut key, Text Effects to allow extended formatting operations.
=> Then you choose
OK. Immediately the Style you just created will appear on
# 5. How to apply Style to Word documents
+ Step 1: Select (highlight) the text or paragraph to apply the Style.
+ Step 2: Choose card
Home => in group
Style choose a suitable Style. For example, I will choose
Style Heading 1 for this writing.
# 6. Application of Style in text editing
Style has many applications in work, study and in life. And below is I try to apply a Style to a paragraph.
Usually, I will apply Style for:
- Title to format the text for the title (of the lesson, of the instruction, …)
- Heading To format the text for chapters, sections, subsections, … The purpose of this, in addition to being beautiful, is to create a table of contents in the future.
- Quote suitable for formatting excerpts. …
# 7. Epilogue
Okay, so I had a pretty complete guide how to use Style in Word then, from using built-in Styles in Word, to working Create a new Style in Word and apply Style to Word .. very complete!
People often use Style when you need to apply many different formats (Times New Roman, 14, Bold, Bullets, Align Left, …) for the same paragraph and repeat for other text with the same role. in the document ..
If you do not use Style, you will have to format it manually or, faster, format for the first paragraph and then use the feature.
Format Painter to copy the format. It is easy to see that both of these methods are not optimal, and there is no door compared to Style 🙂
Hopefully this article will be useful to you. Goodbye and see you in the next posts!