Netizens in general and Asian food lovers in particular are boiling over a react video of cooking cooking program in the UK. Do not wash rice, wash cooked rice through cold water – these paradoxical instructions are making the audience angry and vestibious.
Starting from a reaction
The reaction was made by a Malaysian audience, Nigel Ng, complaining about the British TV show BBC Food showing how to make fried rice incorrectly. More specifically, the host Hersha Patel in the show made a series of preparation steps to processing that were different from traditional. Instead of washing the rice before cooking, Patel poured water directly into the rice and so on. Not stopping there, when the rice is nearly ripe, Patel continues to shock the audience when all the rice water is removed and the rice washed with cold water.
Patel’s way is Nigel Ng commented that the product still looks good, but the steps are completely wrong. Many people even commented that Patel was cooking rice the way Italian pasta was cooked. Some reactions from netizens recorded by Asia One:
– Why did you do that … the rice looked clearly alive. This is not rice pasta.
– If it’s rice, there will be no water left for you to extract. And wash away the rice – for what?
– God of heaven and earth, you cooked rice the wrong way! Why wash rice. It is also wrong to drain water. Your rice is definitely not cooked. My late grandmother will raise her grave to scold her.
– My mother will fight hard if she sees me cooking like that. Asians who think normally just take rice out of their pockets, throw it in a pot without washing it, cook it badly, rip off the water, and wash it? What a way to treat ordinary people with rice.
– How come someone thinks this is a way to cook rice? Refused to understand. I can sympathize with a student who did so for carelessness, not for a professional cook. It was annoying.
– This video is really blasphemous. It is difficult for a true chef (that is, a chef who really knows Asian cuisine) to teach how to make fried rice. Even my 4-year-old granddaughter cooks better than the instructions here. Man, I’m terrified of EVERY STEAM … and please don’t waste delicious ingredients. This is just a guest video and is annoying.
Hersha Patel – Guide to making fried rice is controversial
The host of the show, Hersha Patel is a famous YouTuber in the UK. She owns a personal channel specializing in food and travel. In addition, Hersha Patel is also an award-winning filmmaker, a comedian quite familiar on many TV shows. Owing to such a famous profile, even though the cooking video was broadcast in April last year, after Nigel Ng reaction, the controversy broke out.
Uncle Roger DISGUSTED by this Egg Fried Rice Video (BBC Food)